I am a big fan of using “leftover” ingredients from my pantry. In fact, whenever I want to cook a certain recipe, I rarely have all the ingredients needed. Besides, I really like simplicity when it comes to cooking. What is better than playing with only few simple ingredients to create a tasty, nourishing meal?
I have to admit, I’ve never made Gnocchi myself before. So for my first Gnocchi, I wanted to use my favorite potatoes, sweet potatoes which happen to be a super food.
Recipe for 4 person:
- 600g Sweet Potato (3 medium-sized)
- 300g Wholemeal Flour
- 1Tbsp ground Chia Seeds or Flax Seeds
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 400g Mushrooms
- 1 Tsp Olive Oil
- 1 Lemon
- 200ml Soya Cream
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- Parsley for garnish
(1) Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into small chunks. Boil for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Let cool.
(2) Mix the chia or flax seeds with 3 Tbsp of water and let it sit of a few minutes. This will eventually turn into an egg-like consistency, allowing the potato and flour to stick together.
(3) Mash the sweet potatoes with a fork or use a ricer for a more professional result. Mix in the flour and salt and knead the dough well for 2-3 minutes.
(4) Now form your Gnocchi. The best way is to make a dough roll (approximately the width of your thumb) and then cut off little squares. You can also use a fork to create ridges.
(4) Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Now put a few Gnocchi in the pot at a time They will float to the top after 2-4 minutes which means they’re ready to take out.
(5) While your Gnocchi are cooking, clean the mushrooms and cut them into pieces. Fry the mushrooms in the oil for about 5 minutes and add the soya cream, lemon, salt and pepper. Stir occasionally.
(6) Combine Gnocchi with mushroom sauce and serve. 🙂