My fiancé loves protein bars. I admit, I like them too. And they are quite handy for when you need a quick snack after working out or when you are on the go. However, I am not a big fan of most of the packaged protein bars that you can buy in the shops. Why? Because they are processed and contain a lot of ingredients that I can’t even pronounce. Don’t get me wrong, some might be okay, but I always prefer a healthy homemade snack over a bought one.
This protein bar recipe is very easy. It’s raw, vegan, and gluten-free and only takes about 10 minutes. My secret ingredients are CHICKPEAS. Yeah, they are super versatile. You can use them for hummus, stews, burgers, falafel, salads, blondies, and the list goes on. They are quite high in protein, dietary fiber, and low in fat. Chickpeas also contain a lot of iron, vitamin B6 and magnesium. If you are lazy (like me), you can use canned chickpeas. If you prefer dried chickpeas, you need to let them soak in a large bowl of cold water overnight or at least 12 hours. Next, you need to drain the chickpeas, transfer them to a cooking pot and bring them to boil with water (twice the amount of chickpeas). Lower the heat and let everything simmer for about one hour.
Now, let’s get back to our protein bars. Yum. To increase the amount of protein, we need to add some protein powder. I used rice protein powder, but you can really use any (vegan) protein powder that you like – even flavoured. In addition, I use chia seeds and hemp seeds which are both high in valuable Omega-3 fatty acids and full of nutrients and antioxidants. They are also a complete protein which means they contain all 10 essential amino acids our body needs to function well.
Watch the video:
- 1 tin of drained Chickpeas
- 70 g Peanut Butter (or any other nut butter that you prefer)
- 5 Medjoul Dates (pitted)
- 50 g Rice Protein Powder
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp Chia Seeds
- 2 Tbsp Hemp Seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
- pinch of Salt
(1) Combine chickpeas, dates, vanilla extract and peanut butter in a food processor and process until smooth.
(2) Add in chia seeds, hemp seeds, cinnamon, salt, and protein powder. Process again until everything is well combined and reaches a dough-like consistency.
(3) Now, press the dough evenly into a lined loaf pan.
(4) Freeze for at least one hour and slice into 8 bars. Refrigerate in an airtight container.
Please see nutrition facts below: